How do we do International Social Work Ethically?

 Hi pals,

I want to share something a little different today, and that is around the reflection that I did to decide whether or not to do this practicum. 

First off, I want to say that I do not know the answer to my own question. I am only learning and expanding my knowledge of international social work everyday. As a white social worker I am constantly checking my privilege and power in the work I do. I know I will not always get it right, and when that happens I work to take accountability and change my actions. One of the ways that many social workers and agency have and continued to cause harm is through "white saviorism". This is the idea that white people need to rescue people in marginalized communities and is rooted in white supremacy.

Unfortunately, lots of development work is rooted in the white savior complex. It happens when people and organizations come in, decide what needs to change, and do that without even consulting the communities. A common example of this is building a well close to a village. People assume that a community would want clean water close to their homes, when in actuality that is the only time of the day the women have a chance to talk and connect. The community that is built while walking to get water out weighs having it closer to home. Something I have learned time and time again in my classes and my practice is ensuring power with, not power over. That means working with (or behind communities) not assuming that I know what is best. That was a big reason why I felt okay accepting this practicum, because Rift Valley Children's Village works with and behind the community.

Everything that has happened here, schooling, health care, social work, etc. has all come out of the community wanting and needing that. The organization's co-founder, Peter, is a Tanzanian man who ensures that the community needs are centered. I also learned today that they learn from their mistakes and the change and adapt to do better. That is essential when working within an international context. 

I am here as a visitor, a guest in this community. I am here to learn and grow, I am not here to "improve" or "change" things based on what I think is needed. I can work with the organization to support the children living here and hopefully take back learnings to my professional practice as a social worker. I am willing to be challenged on my whiteness and my role here and I hope that I continue to be open to feedback.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Safari

Adventure Awaits

Halfway Mark